Friday, June 11, 2010

Overcoming "The Bomb"

Something that I've read a lot of comedians have to learn to deal with and overcome is the inevitable "bombing."  Some people have different terms for it ("dyin' out there," etc.), call it what you will: bombing is when you screw up.

Either because the crowd isn't on your side, you are having a bad night, or your routine simply isn't funny, whatever the reason for your bomb, it equates to one thing: you are getting booed off stage, or walking off to crickets.  Apparently this is something that needs explanation to aspiring comedians.  I can't remember where I'd heard it, but at some point in my life the word "bomb" came up in a negative context:

-"You bombed that soccer game;  A little more hustle and we could have had it!"
-"You bombed that first communion;  A little more hustle and we could have had it!"

I'll probably rethink my stance on this once I actually have to step on stage, and have to take stock of all my preparation in the moments before I do so.  Right now it's easy to think to myself, "I've fumbled in front of audiences before, this will not be a problem," but forgetting my violin part to Colors of the Wind, as made famous by the movie Pocahontas, when I'm in third grade, is worlds different than this.

Methods of preparation to prevent a bomb:

1. Tape my performance, verbatim, and rework act repeatedly before ever actually performing for an audience.
2. Construct and memorize a thorough routine with multiple avenues per joke.
3. Practice practice practice.

Honestly, I think that if I put enough work into my act I'll be able to have a pretty good idea as to whether or not it will succeed.  I'm sure I can make my routine work, and I'm prepared to bomb to do so.  It would be neat to say I never did, though.

3 comments:

  1. I've found, when writing jokes (and I'm sure there is a world of difference between writing jokes for a cartoon and jokes for performance) but I've found that its best to keep it simple.

    Sometimes I'll find myself writing and re-writing jokes in an effort to make them funnier, only to have them come off as if the joke had been written for an installment of "Beetle Baily."

    Then, almost inevitably, I'll either go back to the original joke, or toss it altogether because it was a steaming asteroid-sized cluster of garbage.

    Ever have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently I wrote and re-wrote a "test bit" that I was going to post here. I finished three paragraphs, figured it would take me about a minute to two to speak out, depending on pauses, and then just stared at it for about an hour.

    I read it over to myself a couple times, and I liked it, but I didn't think it ended poignantly enough. I tried rephrasing some of the punchlines but I eventually just wound up scrapping the entire thing.

    I like the simplicity take; not only is it easier to nail succinctly (and move on if it isn't working), but it's also a ton more accessible to multiple audience demographics. I bear it in mind when I write, always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You bombed that first communion; A little more hustle and we could have had it!"

    I wouldn't say I laughed at this, but I smiled and my nose made a noise. Funny.

    ReplyDelete