Friday, June 18, 2010

Ghosts!

[The following is my first potential bit I've posted, here.  I'm flushing the subject matter, not writing it as I would say it.  This is to serve as a reminder to myself of something I could use, and as practice.  Constructive criticism welcome (use your discretion), but do not tell me what you would add--it's not that I don't have faith in you, it is just that at that point it has become your joke, not mine]

Ghosts are hilarious.

There is a comedic television show that I've been peripherally aware of, but never actually sat down and watched until tonight; it is called "Ghost Adventures." It is about three fraternity guys who walk around in places at night, record random noises, video tape things with no lighting, and then extrapolate that these things are ghosts and other super natural occurrences.  Now I use "comedic" loosely, as many of my more astute readers are no doubt aware, so since there is an absence of proper alliteration in the written word I'll go right ahead and say that this show is meant to be documentary in nature, and not hilarious.    

I honestly do not know where to get started making fun of things.

The show almost makes fun of itself to the point where I think it is nothing but one big prank on society.  Like one day the cast is just going to start an episode where they stare straight at the camera and say: "A-are you kidding?!  You're still watching?  Holy..."  When I say "makes fun of itself," I do not of course mean that when they take a picture of a bicycle leaning against a wall and claim it is a hell hound, then jovially chuckle about that and say "whatta bunch of knuckleheads we are, to assume such a thing!"  I mean they position themselves as ghost experts and then say things like, and I quote:

"You have to understand, when you're dealing with ghosts, you're dealing with people who were once alive."
~Zak Bagans, ghost expert.

If this is all it takes to pass as an expert in one field or another (rephrasing what something is and then attempting to make a poignant point about it), then consider me an expert in just about every field known to man:

"You have to understand, when you're dealing with cars, you are dealing with boxes that people sit inside of to get from one place to another efficiently."
~Matt Caron, car expert.

"A vagina, after we break it down to its essence, is really nothing more than a hollow emplacement that one can put one's penis into.  Please do your best to understand this."
~Matt Caron, vagina expert.

"You have to understand, when you're dealing with me, you're dealing with a person who I am."
~Matt Caron, Matt Caron expert.

I think three examples is enough, but know that I could go on with this.  So, regarding my question of a prank on society: are the creators of the show the ridiculous ones for creating this, or are we the ridiculous ones for watching and believing it?  This question is rhetorical but I'm afraid there are some people that watch the show reading/[listening], and so: us, we are ridiculous.  We could be doing any number of things; reading books, playing video games, listening to music...fuckin', we could watch our dogs lick themselves and walk away from the experience wiser and more well-rounded than we would if we watched Ghost Adventures!

I do want put more in here, but I have other obligations tomorrow so I have to take off.  Other topics include: method of investigation, validity of claims, integrity of crew.  What I'd ask from you all, assuming I provide a good description of the show and what happens in it, what is the identifiability of the show to the average crowd?  A joke is only good if the crowd cares about the subject matter.  So perhaps I'll have to focus on something more vague and use Ghost Adventures as a means to highlight that?  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment