Wednesday, June 16, 2010

And like a jackass...

I have committed myself to doing stand-up at Magooby's Joke House on the 29th of July.  I have a little over a month to ready my routine.  You know all that stuff I said about not being that worried about bombing?  Complete lie.  I am a liar, and God has called my bluff.  Which God?  The right one, obviously.

Here is the deal: it is a "bringer" show, so I have to bring people with me in order to stand up on stage.  It is actually a pretty sweet system.  I get to go on stage without paying for anything except two drinks, and all I have to do is bring at least five people with me, and those people need to order at least two drinks.  This means that even if I bring all my Indian friends my most cheap friends, the club is looking at making around 15-20 bucks a person without actually charging anymore than $7 per ticket.  

In the interest of full disclosure I will say to you all that this would probably be more of a favor and less of a fun trip.  Steve Gimbel, a comedian who has done a couple of shows at this same location put it better than I would: "family and friends will only be excited the first time to drive to Baltimore, pay a good bit of money, and sit through several hours of people trying (most unsuccessfully) to be funny."  Stu, this being the case, I will pay for your drinks the entire night if you spring seven bucks to attend.  This is a once in a please-come-see-me-be-funny-I-will-beg-forever-for-this opportunity.

See what I did there?  Me either.



2 comments:

  1. I am satisfied by your plea. I shall attend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bargain struck. *disappears in a blast of brimstone smoke*

    ReplyDelete