Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dissecting the Routine

I realize that my writing style does not translate very well to the spoken word.  I attempted to speak out my routine from yesterday, and it isn't that it wasn't funny, its that it wasn't funny often enough.  Typically a story-routine has a big build up, and that climax either delivers or it doesn't.  My story has several build ups that are worth a chuckle, and a couple more that may be worth slightly more than that.  

What does this mean for the routine?  I need to be less wordy.  Not the "using big words" type of the wordy, but the "taking more than one sentence to say I need to be less wordy."

I went through the routine and broke it up from paragraphs into shorter "idea segments" that seem to work better as tangents for the sake of a crowd.  I've had my writing style complimented before, but the issue here that I have a difficult time keeping at the forefront of my material generation, is that audiences have a much shorter attention span then someone who has committed him/herself to reading an article.  

No one is committed to laughing at me, I have to sell them on it as soon as I can.

1 comment:

  1. Out of the three routines you've posted, I certainly enjoyed the ghost and motorboat ones the best. I literally "LOL'd," especially at the ghost adventures one. That one's gold.

    The fat kid one, I feel, needs a little work, and I'm not sure where. Perhaps it needs to go back to the oven for a little while longer? But I think you already nailed it, by saying you need to cut down on wordiness.

    WHAT YOU NEED ARE JOKES ABOUT AIRLINE FOOD. I MEAN, WHATS UP WITH THAT?!? LOLOLOLOLOL

    ReplyDelete