Friday, October 8, 2010

Friday, October 15th

I will be doing my first show at a club that is decidedly not-comedy.  I honestly expect this to be the biggest bomb of all time.  I will have to do 15 minutes of time before a band without that big of a following goes on.  Who knows what sort of people will be there, from all different demographics?  I know what most of them will be, though: drunk as shit.

Don't get me wrong, drunk is can be a double-edged sword for a comic.  On the one hand: everything I say will be funnier than it otherwise would have been if the drunk audience is receptive to me and my jokes.  On the other: if the drunken crowd is not receptive to me and my jokes, they will be far more verbal and ruthless about it. 

Whenever I have been at a music club waiting for a band to go on, and bear in mind that I'm the least patient individual on the face of this fucking planet, I get pissed when the band is delayed, or the band could go on, but don't.  When I'm drunk, and I get pissed about something trivial, I am more of a dick about it than I otherwise would be. 

Bottom line: I doubt people will give two shits about comedy, and I will probably get my shit heckled to bits.

I think that this is a good thing, however.  Of all places to get booed off the stage, a punk/metal music club is not one that will leave a lasting blight on my stand-up career.  If the club hates me and never wants to see me again then that is completely fine; it's a music club that probably has never had stand-up there before.  The showing will be tiny, I'd suspect, so only a few people will think to themselves: "what a waste of my 15 minutes, I could have been dropping a deuce or trying to fuck some bald chick."

I don't want to bomb, I've made that abundantly clear.  I will do all that I can to make this a successful show.  I plan to attempt to work the crowd in this room, because otherwise I'm dead in the water.  A crowd like this, at the time I will be going, needs to have you remind them that you exist like every 20 seconds.  I know, because I've drank with this sort of crowd after this band's shows, and they pride themselves on how "raw" they can be at all times.  Good for them, I don't.

2 comments: